SPC 1301-03 & SPC 1301-04 ASSIGNMENTS
Your Speech assignments will be posted here. Please read them thoroughly–and remember–we will discuss each one in class before you begin working on them! Look for videos related to your speech assignments on the main course web page.
Quiz over syllabus:
- Name two student responsibilities you think are important.
- How many unexcused absences are you allowed for this class?
- When is your first assignment due?_____________________________________________________________________________________
Twitter Assignment: Follow 5 news media outlets and tweet their @names to #spc3txwes (SPC1301-03) or #spc4txwes (SPC1301-04)
–> Weekly-twitter-posts-and-retweets-f2015 Assignment
Project #1: Drafting “Speech of Introduction” PC1301-ElevatorSpeech-Fall2015 Assignment
Develop “Speech of Introduction” — In-Class Workshop: Speed Networking
Project #2: Video Resume (Vesumes–or “Video Profiles”)
In class, when we start this project, Dr. CJG will show some student samples of video resumes
Create a 1 minute video resume using the criteria below.
“Top 5 Tips for Creating Impressive Video Resumes”
“How to Make a Video Resume” (YouTube)
CRITERIA: (5 Components below adapted from above video)
1. Introduction: Introduce yourself and say what position your are applying for.
2. Brief description of your school/work experience: “I have three years of experience doing . . .”
3. What makes you stand out in your current or last role/job?
4. What makes you unique? What are your values and what is your passion?
5. Closing statement: “If you are looking for a focused, organized, and highly motivated individual, I’m your candidate.”
Sample video resumes and other video resume resources from YouTube:
“Short Video Resume”
“Sample Video CV”
About Careers: “Video Resume Tips”
- Each Video Resume SPEAKER needs 2 Peer Reviews (in-class workshop) – Video Resume Peer Edit Sheet – 2
- In-class Reflection: 1) What did you learn about your video from your peers? 2) What will you change in your final video? 3) How do you feel about the process of peers reviewing your video resume? Reflection about Video Resume Peer Edit
To turn in your Video Resume: Send an email to Dr. CJG: firstname.lastname@example.org and in “Subject” line type “Video Resume SPC 1301” with a link to your video on youtube or make other arrangements with me–do not email me your actual video!!!! It will jam my email account.
Project #3: Informational Speech – Panel Presentation Assignment SPC1301-Informative Speech Panel Assignment-Fall2015
Informational Speech Schedule (changed from syllabus):
9/21 & 9/23: Research & Introduction workshops
9/28: Outline and Conclusion workshop
9/30: PowerPoint workshop: SPC – Presentations & Zen methodology
10/5 & 10/7: Practice & Record with mini-projectors
10/12 & 10/14: DUE: Speech & Packet (Assignment sheets & Typed Formal Outline)
SELF-REFLECTION (SELF-CRITIQUE): Informative Speech SELF-CRITIQUE Rubric
Project #4: Persusuasive Speech – Monroe Motivated Sequence SPC 1301 Persuasive Speaking Using Modern Appeals
SAMPLE PERSUASIVE SPEECHES:
Justin Bieber Monroe’s Motivated Sequence (Commercial Using Monroe Motivated Sequence)
“The Ultimate Gift” (Example of Persuasive Speech showing a “Need” and “Solution”)
QUIZ: Persuasive Speech Quiz Quiz- Persuasive Speech – Use Your Textbook DUE: Monday, October 26
Research Your Topic, Bring 3 research articles & Draft Outline about your topic to class—DUE :Monday, October 26
Read Chapter 15 (Tab 7), especially about Monroe’s Motivated Sequence, pps. 342-345
Plus: Persuasive Outline Format: pp. 371
Strategies: pp 373
Introduction & Conclusion: pp 377
Practice Presentation & Peer Edit – October 28
Worksheet: Monroe Motivated Sequence – Worksheet for Outline
Outline/Presentation Peer Critique: Monroe’s Motivated Sequence- Evaluator Critique
PRESENT Project #4 – Persuasive Speech – November 2-4
Project #5: Pecha Kucha Presentation ( Begin Nov 9): Pecha Kucha Presentation Assignment Fall2015
November 9 & 11: Pecha Kucha Workshop
November 16: Peer Edit Workshop In-Class Pecha Kucha – Peer Edit
Watch Video about Pecha Kucha: “Pecha Kucha Dallas-Fort Worth” (YouTube)
November 18: Practice & Self-Edits In Class